Monday, January 7, 2013

Yet Another Blog Post

Most of my art comes from two somewhat cliche places.  The first is how I view the world, and the second is how I view myself in the world.  These two ideas have greatly shaped the way I look at and create art.  This is most evident in my final projects in Intro and Intermediate Photo.











The first Image is from the final project for Intro to Photo.  The idea behind the project was to take the everyday world and make it beautiful and aw inspiring through abstraction.  The idea for this project came quite simply from the way in which I see the world.  Which is the first place from which my art originates.  My final project from Intermediate Photo exemplify's the world as I see it through myself.  For this project I made a series of portraits of Jewish students who attend Lawrence.  I then used these portraits to exemplify the community feel of Judaism.  The series showed that while we all come from different walks of life, look different, and may even come from very different racial backgrounds we are all connected by our Judaism and the community we gain from it.  This was conclusion that I had come to after much thinking on the matter.


The image above exemplify's who I am better than anything else I can think of.  There is very much two sides to my personality, and they come out in the choice of majors I have made.  The first is ordered and reasonable.  This then is my Government major.  Whereas the other side is creative and much more free, that would be my studio art major.  Now, the Image above has brought both of those worlds together.  It is an image with great political significance.  I took this image while working with the artist Wing Young Huie on his Chalk Talk project.  The image is of a ex-army chemical engineer who was part of the teams that looked for WMDs in Iraq.  After returning home and realizing that he has been lied to by his government and that his purpose in life was pretty much a lie he was broken.  While he has a wife and kids he could not support them and ended up homeless.  However, by the time I met him and took this picture he had found a new purpose in life, being the best father he could be and finding a way to provide for his family.

Finally, I leave you all with the below image, to reflect on the world, and the tremendous beauty contained within it and the road you take through it.


My website can be found at the following link. http://frankliebermanphotography.artworkfolio.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment