Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Do I have Friends?


The main issue I found with this project was repetition.  I am used to doing projects with 12 images in them max, and it is very hard to become repetitious with so few images.  So when I was thinking about the project the thought that the images may start to become repetitive never entered my mind.  However, once I started shooting and editing I felt a bit of repetitiveness start, so I found myself having to really work on the photos to remove this feeling.  Another feeling that I kept having during the project was frustration.  While it was much faster and easier to work with and edit the photos on the computer as opposed to in a dark room I still found myself hating it.  Coming from a film background I have my way of looking at, working with, and arranging photos.  However, none of that works in digital.  For this reason I found it very hard to choose an order for the photos, and in general became quite frustrated with the whole process.

Flicker:

SnapFish:


3 comments:

  1. I really like how you executed your idea of "anti-mainstream" through your photographs. You did a great job depicting how you embrace your subject through the various angles and effects of your photographs. Yes, it is a bit repetitive, but you made it work as best as you could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you were focused on the hands with the cards and keyboards. Maybe keeping it that way instead of including the photos with the people's faces and backs would create more continuity. Maybe continuity is not what you're going for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I agree with Rose in the sense that I would LOVE to see even more hand shots! This could become an incredible exploration of the way we use our hands and the importance of gestures...how do we speak with our hands?(...even when playing Magic The Gathering!) Additionally your shots are wonderful. I think maybe you could explore McLuhan's idea of "anti-social" even further! Perhaps it is less about the fact that when these guys "game" they are being anti-social, and more about the idea that gaming is not part of the mainstream? IS it? That could be a question to explore!

    ReplyDelete